Monday 13 October 2014

Doug Peruski: A Long-Held Dream



Doug Peruski says he has been sitting on a secret for the last couple of months, but the time has come to let the cat out of the bag.

He is moving his theater troupe, the Square Peg Players, to New York in the near future, although the exact date is not yet set. He has been very open about that. What he has been keeping to himself, however, is that he is finally realizing a long-held dream, and will be appearing in a new production of West Side Story.



Doug Peruski has loved the Jerome Robbins play of star-crossed lovers for as long as he can remember. "I loved that movie as a kid growing up, and I've seen five or six different live productions of it," he says. "I was hoping to be cast as Tony – that's the role I auditioned for, and that's the role I really want to play. Well, maybe someday. I didn't get the part of Tony, but I did get a callback after the audition and they wanted me for Diesel!"
Diesel, he explains, is one of the gang members of the Jets. "It's mostly a supporting role," Doug Peruski says. "But I get a song. You know that great song near the end, ‘Cool'? I can't wait!"

West Side Story, with music by Leonard Bernstein, is based on William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. The play was an immediate hit when it first opened on Broadway in 1957, and became an Academy Award winning film in 1961. Doug Peruski says that the production he has been cast in is scheduled to open in an off-off-Broadway theatre in the summer of 2015. Rehearsals begin in the spring of that year.

No comments:

Post a Comment